When a retiree passes away

Please let us know by filling out the Loss of a Loved One Reporting Form. This will help us let friends and co-workers know and update our records.

Also, please reach out to the Benefit Service Center at (888) 850-1799 to adjust under and over 65 retiree benefits.

When a spouse or dependent passes away

Please let us know by filling out the Loss of a Loved One Reporting Form. This will help us update our records.

If you are under 65 and your spouse or dependent was on the medical plan, the medical plan status and premiums will change. Please refer to the medical plan information page.

Please reach out to the Benefit Service Center at (888) 850-1799 to adjust under and over 65 retiree benefits.

Please update your beneficiary information  for your 401(k) and/or life insurance policy, if applicable.

Additional information

Immediately following, you should:
  • If employed, contact the deceased’s employer.
  • If applicable, notify agent under Power of Attorney.
  • Alert the executor of your loved one’s will.
  • Notify religious, fraternal and civic organizations that your loved one was a member of.
  • Arrange for the care of any dependents.
  • If the deceased had any pets, arrange for their immediate care.
  • Alert the post office to forward the deceased’s mail.
  • Locate loved one’s important documents:
    • Will
    • Birth certificate
    • Social Security card
    • Marriage license
    • Military discharge papers (DD-214)
    • Deed to burial property
    • Copy of funeral prearrangements
    • Life insurance policies
Within one month, you should:
  • Consult with an attorney about probate.
  • Meet with an accountant to discuss estate taxes.
  • File claims with life insurance companies.
  • Contact the Social Security Administration and other government offices that may have been making payments to the decedent. If the decedent was your spouse, inquire about your eligibility for new benefits.
  • If the deceased’s home is unoccupied, cancel unnecessary home services, such as newspaper delivery, cable service, etc.
  • Cancel deceased’s prescriptions.
  • Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to cancel deceased’s drivers license and transfer titles of all registered vehicles.
  • If your loved one was a veteran, inquire about benefits that you may be entitled to through the VA.
  • Contact the deceased’s employer. Inquire about any 401(k), pension, or company benefits that the decedent may be entitled to.
  • Notify all three credit reporting agencies.
  • If the death was accidental, verify whether benefits are available on existing insurance policies.
  • Check for any life insurance benefits available through existing credit card or loan accounts.
  • File any outstanding claims for health insurance or Medicare.
  • Obtain copies of deceased’s outstanding bills.
  • Locate and/or obtain other important paperwork necessary for the settlement of their estate:
    • At least 12 copies of the certified Death Certificates
    • Real estate deeds and titles
    • Stock certificates
    • Real estate titles
    • Loan paperwork
    • Bank and retirement account statements
    • Last four years of tax returns
    • Advise all creditors in writing that a death has occurred
    • Change ownership of assets and lines of credit
    • Update your will
    • Update beneficiaries on your life insurance policies, if necessary